Monday, September 21, 2009

Wish List

Many of you have expressed an interest in sending me a package, your kindness is overwhelming. However, it is expensive to mail things here; for example a large padded envelope costs $25 and there is a flat rate box which you can stuff with no weight limit for $53. This is very expensive, and this blog is not intended to guilt anyone into mailing me something. But, on the other hand, if you are looking to mail me something, I don’t want you to mail me things I don’t need or stuff I can get here. The other problem is that when I write a list like this, there is a danger of getting 25 bags of Totsie Pops, which I will eat, but then my teeth will fall out. (Actually the story goes that the lady the created fufu had no teeth. So I suppose I could eat most Ghanian food if I lost all my teeth). So, I will write things here that have a good shelf life, and things that I will use on a regular basis.
UGH!! I had to stop writing for a bit. I heard this plop and this large toad just appeared on my floor! I have no idea how he got in, my windows have bug screen all around them. Anyways, he is back outside, hopefully eating all sorts of tasty bugs.
As I have described in earlier blogs, there is a serious lack of dairy products. I can get powered milk and eggs. So I would love to have packs of dry/powdered sauces that I could add to pasta, rice, beans or potatoes. The sauce packs are lightweight and have a good shelf life. Plus there is a good variety of them from asian, gravy mixes, cheese sauces, etc.
Canned goods: Maybe things like tuna fish, canned chicken, shrimp stuff like that. I never thought I would say this but cheese in a can, OMG!!! Send it baby!!!
Another thing is drink mixes. The only thing I can get here is Fanta Orange Soda and Coke, and I am not a big fan of sodas. I like most flavors, and I know there are available drink mixes that are healthy for you. There is not many green dark vegetables around here, so if you can find some that are fortified with greens and vitamins that would be nice. I also like lemonade mixes and things. There is a mix called Emergen-C, but I am NOT a big fan of that. Hmmm, do they have powdered beer or wine???
Granola Bars are good. But I am snob when it comes to them. Kashi makes ones I like, Cliff Bars and again there are some in the health food section of the stores that have healthy things in them. Chocolate coated ones will probably melt, but ones with chocolate chips have shipped well.
Speaking of chocolate. Milk chocolate does not ship well. By the time I get it, it is usually melted. Dark chocolate does much better, and, it so happens I prefer that. My favorite is Green and Black, found in the health food section of Hannaford, but they are quite expensive.
Prepackage cookies are good as long as they are sealed and wrapped pretty good. Same with wheat thins and crackers. If you could, when you send things like this, please send along a large zip lock bag so once it is opened it won’t go stale.
Dried Fruit- Yummy. Just not raisins.
OOooh!!!! Gummy Bears!!! Black Forest are the best!!!
Jerky is also good. I like all kinds; just not Slim Jims. I know, I know, I am picky.
I remember when I used to go backpacking, we would buy freeze dried meals. I don’t know what the technology is these days and what kind of meals they have, but heck, it can’t be worse than the okra stew with grass cutter (US groundhog), or dried rotten fish I am eating now!
If there is any new cool movies that have come out on DVD or and cool new music you are listening to, I am always up for that.

Things not to ship:
Peanuts- I have ground nuts here, and once I roast them, add salt and either garlic or sugar, they are pretty tasty.
Peanut Butter- I can get groundnut paste, which once I doctor up tastes pretty yummy.
Jam- I have found a Monastery here that makes jam and it is wonderful.
Homemade Food- Unfortunately, because it will take at least a month for me to get the package, most homemade food will spoil.
Books- They would be great but too heavy and I have a good selection here. Unless someone wants to send me a Kindle..LOL
Well, that is all for now. Again this message is because many of you have asked what I would like, and this is the easiest way for me to communicate to all of you. Don’t feel like you have to send anything, though a letter now and then would be nice!
Here is the shipping address:
Wayne Tilton PCV
c/o Peace Corps
PO Box 5796
Accra-North
Ghana, West Africa

My love to you all.
Cheers,
Wayne
PS Seriously, some one work on powdered wine or beer, PLEASE!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I will send you some things. Will work on the powdered alcohol idea....Maybe a beer making kit? Probably too expensive to ship. I put a link to your blog on my site with a message So... if you come up with aplace for people to send donations I can post that too. Keep up the good work.
    Godspeed, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you decide to send Wayne a care package, I would recommend the large flat rate international box- it's $53 to mail it, but you can cram a bunch of stuff in it, so maybe the Tilton brothers, or the Fryeburg gang can get together on a package for Wayne. He especially likes the Propel fitness water packets I've been sending him- raspberry lemonade flavor. I've also been sending him miniature reeses pb cups. You can get summer sausage and cheese from Hillshire Farms that is shipable- you may be able to find it at Target. Those packages of tuna are great and ship well. Any kind of cheese is awesome- I found a can cheese in the cracker section of Hannaford that he likes. Heck, with the meat he has available to him there, he'd probably be really excited for Spam! :-)

    If you have small things you'd like to send to him, I'll be leaving on December 16th to visit him, and would be happy to bring it with me- let me know.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wayne,
    I just checked in and found three posts I hadn't read yet. Thanks for your wish list! I'd love to send you a care package. What about mayonnaise? I'm thinking that would taste good with $4 eggs for a salad, maybe even with the groundhog meat? At least it'll keep some weight on you as you'll wither away to nothing the way you're eating now. :) I worry about you!

    Love and blessings to you and everyone you're helping there.

    Lucille

    ReplyDelete