Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wayne Goes to Wenchi

Well, stage one is complete! Sorry I have not been able to communicate in a while, it’s been a very busy and hectic time. The last few weeks of training were review and getting ready for the tests. Yes, in order to swear in and become a PCV, you need to be tested and get at least and 80% in each segment of training; health, safety and security, small enterprise development (SED) and language. The health, safety and security were pretty easy to pass. SED and Twi were a little tougher. For SED, we learned everything from understanding how businesses are structured here, how to write a business plan, learn about NGO’s (non government organizations), banking practices and much more. I would have gotten a 96% on the course, but I left my workbook at site and they deducted 5 points for that. Still, not too bad. Twi was not easy either. I had to have a 20 minute conversation in Twi, where they asked me all sorts of things like where I live, where my site was, how to buy things at market.....I passed with an intermediate medium. I am just lucky to have passed. Phew!
Swearing in was quite a hoopla of an event. There was a band playing as we marched to our seats. Our host families were there supporting us for the last time. The Country Director was there, all the Chiefs from the villages where we were staying, the head political man for the region; equivalent to a governor, and the US Ambassador to Ghana. There were speeches, dancing, skits, and a bunch of applauding. It was a great day and we all felt honored and relieved that this part of the journey was completed. It was a weekend of mixed emotions. We were all excited to go to our sites and start our various jobs, but it was also the last time we would see each other for some time. Having spent 3 months in intense training with a group of people, you develop a certain bond and I think there will be some friendships that will last a lifetime.
I arrived in Wenchi knowing I had a lot of support from the people who have asked me to come here and help. I spent a week in Wenchi while in training and met a lot of the folks I will be working with. My counterpart, Baro is the main person who will help me get around, help me communicate with the towns folk, and help understand the cashew business. His father is one of the sub chiefs in the city. My supervisor Ben, is the head of a government organization that supports small businesses. Both have been very helpful and accommodating to my needs.
Wenchi is about the size of Westbrook, maybe a little bigger. Most everyone here are farmers. So even during mid day, the town is pretty quiet, because most people are at farm. My house is located outside of town, about 4 1/2 miles from the office where I will be working. So far I’ve been walking back and forth to work, and I have enjoyed the workout. However, I do plan on getting a bicycle and be riding there and back. The walk is a beautiful one, I walk beside the farms on a rolling hillside overlooking the town. I am thankful that I live in such a beautiful area.
I have had a couple of meetings since I’ve been here, and I do have my work cut out for me! The Wenchi Cashew Farmers Coop is made up of 7 area zones and each zone operates as a small business. My job will be helping them learn proper business skills, as well as marketing, and management skills.
I am hoping to get internet access soon. If all goes well, I will be able to get it on my own computer, and will be able to access Skype and be able to communicate with you all. In the meantime, please continue to write, I love getting emails from you all. Please know that you are in my thoughts, and prayers.
Cheers,
Wayne

1 comment:

  1. HB- I hope last week's meeting went ok and that you get a chance to head out and meet with the farmers. It'll be nice to get their perspective on things, and maybe you can focus on simple business practices for them in the coming months. You're doing a great job, and we're all proud of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete