Sunday, September 27, 2009

Twilight

Twilight
So what is you favorite time of day? Early morning before the sun rise? Midday with with the bright sun shining down? How about the dead of night? Mine has always been twilight. The time about an hour before the sunsets and an hour after. Ever since I can remember, twilight to me is almost magical. It’s a time of day where your senses are heightened; the smells, sound and feel of the day seem to have a new dimension.
As a kid, I can remember the cold December days, playing hockey on the small cow pond behind our house in Alna. Inhaling the crisp cool air as we slid back and forth, trying to catch the small black puck. It’s the time of night where you have a hard time seeing; I remember watching my brother’s ghost like figures on the other side of the pond. Then hearing Mom’s voice calling us in for supper.
Or, as an adult, going for a walk with the kids around Fryeburg in the winter. Hearing the crunch of the snow under my feet; looking up and seeing the large, fluffy snowflakes gently cascade down in the light of the street light.
In Costa Rica at sunset, the village where we where staying closed down and everyone went to the beach to watch the sunset. Watching the waves carry the surfers in, trying to catch the last perfect wave before dark.
Here in Ghana, it has the same effect on me. Tonight I walked back from eating fufu in town. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect. The sun was slowly making its way down the sky, playing hide and seek in the clouds. It’s hard not to watch as the colors change from a golden bronze to a dark orange. The colors of the clouds above go from white, to a crimson red and orange, then as the sun is tucked away for the night, the clouds become a deep purple. The lighting in the air, is so cool. It’s almost like there is a battle with the light wanting to linger just a little longer before it is defeated by the darkness. The air itself changes; as I walk into a small depression, I can feel the coolness of the hillside spring against my skin. Sound travels more that time of day. I can hear the Muslim prayers being offered up in town, the musical chants carrying on the wind. It’s the time of day when the birds sing their farewell to the day and the crickets and peepers awake to bring in the night.
Tonight, take some time from your busy schedule, and walk outside at twilight. Focus on the natural beauty around you. Breathe... Tell me it is not magical...
Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written! I love this time of day, also, and loved that part of our trip to Costa Rica. Can't wait to experience twilight with you in Africa! xoxo

    ReplyDelete