Monday, September 14, 2009

Dinner with Wayne. Akwabaa!!

So, I start with garlic. I think that God, when He spoke “Let there be Light”, was probably sauteing garlic... The whole process of mincing garlic is almost a religion in itself. The crushing of the skin, the chopping, the pungent smell... It brings me back to the days of when my brother, (Scott, I love you man!!!!), use to make his mussels; starting with garlic. I take some coarse salt and oil, to help break the oils and the meat of the garlic. The skillet is hot, and the oil is sizzling. As I add the garlic the familiar noise of popping and spattering resound as the pieces dance in the hot oil. I add green pepper, and Ginny (Twi word for onion). As that cooks, I peel the tomatoes, garden eggs and hot peppers. Once I am through I toss everything together, add some water, salt and a little sugar and let it simmer for a couple of hours.
I have my Ipod (Tom that is an electrical thingy that plays music, kinda like magic!!) on shuffle. I go from listening to Spyro Gyra (Chris I love you man!!) to Nick Drake ( HB, I love you!!!!) to Max McLean reading Psalms (Todd, I love you man!!!). My cold gin and raspberry lemonade are calling to me, the crickets are deafening outside my window. My neighbor comes over and we start talking about the States as the sauce simmers. It’s funny the perception people have here of the US. They think that we are all rich, and we all drive sports cars going around shooting people (they watch way too many movies). They also are devastated as I tell them that WWW.RAW Wrestling (CJ I love you man!!!) is NOT real. Seriously. The sauce continues to simmer. Now, Billy Idol is on my Ipod (Noli- don’t know exactly why this reminds me of you but I love you man!!! Let me know if you are out there.)
Sounds good so far right? Well, NOW what do I do??? I look around and try to figure out what I am gonna put this yummy sauce on. My cupboards are kind of bare, and the only thing I see (heavy sigh) is a yam- or in the US, it’s called a potato. Except this potato is on steroids, about 5 times the size of a US potato. Before I prepare this BOS (beast of starch), I decide I need another gin and raspberry lemonade ( I love you Gin!!!!).
Well, the meal is done; tomato sauce with yam. The Bee Gees are playing ”How Deep Is Your Love?” I love you Alna Youth Group!!!)I think about cheese. Parmesan, or mozzarella.. I think I remember what those tasted like. The dry powdery texture of parm, or the stringy, hot texture of motz, that always ends up on you chin. Well, instead, I have this kind of boring meal, but all the time thinking of my friends and loved ones back in the states. Hey, the next time you bite into that crispy garlic bread or taste that dryness of red wine...please remember me. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are quite a writer! (and this comes from a lifelong book worm who reads at least 3 books a week, more in the winter). You don't have to worry about what you'll do after the PC because I am going to insist on becoming your agent and you can turn your blog into a book! I'm completely serious!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, too, NBBFHB!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete