Thursday, September 10, 2009

Don’t carry your eggs all in one bag!

So, do you ever think how expensive it is to live here in Ghana? Well, I have (no big surprise to those of you who think I’m um er well frugal). This is what they call the rainy season here in Ghana. Although it does not rain most days, it is cloudy and, what the locals call cool; 85-90. It’s funny to see them in a vest or long sleeve shirt at this temperature, but in the dry season it is about 120. Can’t wait.
Anyways, today it did rain. I was in town doing some shopping when the rain came. I was eating lunch/supper (these days I combine them; it’s cheaper that way). When it stopped, I continued on my shopping expedition. I bought a loaf of bread from the top of a girl’s head, then a half of dozen eggs from the egg lady. Hopefully from my previous blogs you can start to picture the scene. As I start to make my way home, holding the eggs in my hand, I am careful not to step in the puddles that cover my muddy path. This is a tricky thing given that the path is very slippery, slimy and steep. You guessed it, I didn’t make it without falling. Not too bad, I thought I recovered rather quickly, but, when you are the only white person in town, all eyes are upon you. Amidst all the laughing and pointing ( I should sell tickets... call it the Wayne show), one man was nice enough to offer me some water to wash my hands. After thanking him and carefully watching my step, I continued on but thought to check my eggs to see how they fared during the fall. Four out of the six were broken. The eggs cost .20 pesawa each, so I lost .80 pesawa or close to .60 cents. No big deal right? Well, I “make” $6 a day. 80 pesawa is about 8% of my pay. So... let’s say you make $200 a day in the States; 8% of $200 is $16. On four eggs. Hmmm, so you tell me, is it expensive to live here?

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Makes me appreciate shopping carts and being able to drive to and from the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete