Saturday, June 20, 2009

On Transportation

Transportation

I used to be intimidated when I traveled to New York City, mostly due to the traffic. Well, I can safely tell you that NYC has nothing on Accra. Come with me for a ride....


This one particular evening we went to see the US Ambassador of Ghana. He was very gracious to invite us PCT (Peace Corps Trainees) to a evening at his house. It was very nice, an open bar and finger food. He and his wife were very nice and his welcome speech was very heartfelt. He told us that the majority of the Ghana administration can remember the name of the PCV (Peace  Corps Volunteer) that went to their village when they were young. I thought that was pretty cool. 

Now, for the ride home. Picture a two lane highway; sometimes paved, sometimes not. Either way, on these “roads”, there are holes. I would say pot holes but that would be an understatement. These holes will swallow a small car. On the road are people, bikes, motorbikes, small cars, vans, and large buses and trucks. From what I can gather, there is a hierarchy. People yield to bikes, bikes yield to motorbikes, motorbikes yield to small cars, etc. Oh, and these roads do not have pull over lanes, and they get very, very congested. So, back to my story. We are on the way home from the Ambassador’s house. It’s after 8 (it gets dark around 7ish) and they tell us that we should not be out at night. Many vans get robbed at night, so they want to rush us home. As I look ahead of us there is a major traffic jam. We are going north, and it is completely stopped. The traffic headed south is stopped as well. There are vendors and people all in the road; it is completely impassable I think. Well I was wrong. Instead of stopping, our driver decides that we should drive in the opposite lane whenever there is a break, heading directly into traffic. As we were flying down the road I know a head on collision is imminent. At the last minute, our driver swerves onto the opposite sidewalk. Horn blasting, we continue on our way while people are scrambling out of our way. We go through yards, driveways and every other inch of space we can find to continue forward. I is unlike any other thing I  have ever done. I do not know how or why we made this hour long trek without getting killed or shot at. When we safely arrived back to our compound, I think we all kissed the ground. I found out later that because we are Peace Corps, we have special license plates and we can drive however we please.... go figure. 


Bus rides

I went up North to a small village to visit Larry, a PCV who is doing what I will be doing. I spent 3 days with him and I learned a lot about what I will be doing. Larry is a great guy and I was fortunate to have him as my mentor. Actually to get to his site, I spent over 15 hours on a bus, then ended the trip with a canoe ride to cross a river. The first leg of the journey home included a very interesting bus ride. There was a group of folks waiting to get on the bus when we arrived. Most of them were women with babies. To me there seemed like there was going to be plenty of room, there was probably 30 of us. But, the women did not think there would be enough room. When the bus arrived, complete chaos erupted. Instead of waiting for the people to get off the bus, they were bound and determined to get on the bus ( which was full). People were crawling over each other, yelling and screaming, pushing and pulling. I couldn’t believe it, because these were the nicest, sweetest people in the world.... until they want to get on the bus. When I finally got on the bus, there were no seats left, but plenty of standing room, so I thought I would make the best of it and just stand. I was wondering why we were not leaving then I noticed huge bags (like 100 lb. each) of grain, corn, charcoal, and God knows what else being loaded on. Any extra space got swallowed up and now everyone was cramped.  Of course there is nothing to hold on to, and as we took off it was hard to stay on my feet. After about twenty minutes we came to a station and I was thinking “cool people will start to get off and I will have room again.” How naive of me. At least 20 more people got on board, with all their boxes, bags and baskets. I now am sitting/squatting with my back against a very hard metal pan. At my feet, or more accurately on my feet are three Ghanian women, all with babies. You can not imagine how packed this  bus was. Oh, did I mention that the bus doors were broken? They were half closed, and to open them you had to kick/pull/push your way through them. I became very self conscious of myself as everyone was looking at me. Not only was I the only white person on the bus, but I was wearing shorts. Wearing shorts in public is very taboo. I don’t know what I was thinking. Feeling uncomfortable in many ways, I look around and find that most of the women are breast feeding their babies. So here I am feeling very embarrassed about my naked knees, when there are all these boobs bouncing around all over the place. Breasts and not considered sexual here while legs are... Oh well, more cultural things to learn for me... At the end, I made it safe and sound back to training village where I will spend the next 10 weeks, learning all sorts of fun stuff.

Cheers,

Wayne

6 comments:

  1. Wayne:
    What a frickin' adventure!!! I am SO looking forward to the updates.

    You had me crackin' up big time.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have figured you could get arested for having shorts on in public?? Did ya hear the girls went on and won the states,.... in overtime, the last play of the game had Ariel slamming one out to right center and the last thing Hanna Hill did in her high school career was to step on home plate w/ the winning run. Hanna is in the all star game on Thursday with Heather and Ellen Head . Im going up w/ Jon and Sue,


    STANDISH — Hannah Hill ran down the line and she knew, as soon as she stepped on home plate, that her high school career would be over.

    And what a way to finish it.

    Hill, Fryeburg Academy´s stellar pitcher, scored from third on an eighth-inning single by Ariel McConkey to lift the Raiders to a 2-1 victory over Medomak Valley in the Class B softball state championship game at St. Joseph´s College´s Ward Park. It was Fryeburg´s second state title in a row, both against the Panthers.

    "There´s no other way I´d rather finish this," said Hill, who started the winning rally with a one-out single. "It´s amazing. And it probably hasn´t hit me yet. It´s pretty surreal, but very exciting."

    Hill was in control throughout. She allowed only two hits and one walk while striking out 15.

    After the Panthers tied the game in the top of the fifth, she retired the final 12 batters.

    The Raiders (19-1) played steady defense behind Hill, particularly third baseman Tanya Randall, who had an RBI double in the fourth to give Fryeburg a 1-0 lead.

    Fryeburg entered the bottom of the eighth with just five hits off Medomak Valley´s Kayla Vannah, who retired the first eight batters.

    With one out, Hill lashed a line drive to left. Then Brylie Walker, who had two singles, hit a grounder to short. With no one covering second, Panthers shortstop Kasey Benner threw to first, but the speedy Walker beat the throw. Heather Tripp walked, bringing up McConkey, who had grounded out three times.

    "My legs were a little shaking in the box," said McConkey. "I was really nervous. But I knew I just needed to make contact and get it out of the infield and we´d be set."

    McConkey, who was in the batting cage at 7 a.m. Saturday working on her bat speed, took a strike and then fouled off two pitches. "I was telling myself that I wasn´t going to strike out," she said. "I´m going to hit this ball and I just did it."

    That she did, lining a gapper to right-center. Hill scored easily and the celebration was on.

    It was more disappointment for the Panthers, who for the second year in a row made it to the state championship game from the eighth seed in the East, only to lose to Fryeburg.

    "We were that close again this year," said Coach Glenn Barbour, holding his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart. "But my girls played with a lot of heart. I´m proud of them."

    Medomak came close to breaking the game open in the fifth. Rachel Keefe led off with a double to left, then went to third on a single to center by Kayla Santheson, who promptly stole second.

    Benner followed with a dribbler to first and avoided the tag as Keefe scored the tying run. Benner stole second, putting runners on second and third with no outs. Then Hill got a strikeout, a popout to shortstop Ellen Head and another strikeout.

    "I almost block everything out," said Hill, who will play at Seton Hall next year. "I couldn´t tell you if people were standing. I couldn´t tell you if people were cheering. I just look around at my teammates and turn back around and look at the batter and, ´All right, it´s time.´

    "I was being very aggressive at that point."

    And she was reflective as she scored the winning run.

    "It hit me three feet from home plate," she said. "I was like, ´Oh my gosh, that´s it.´ I´m excited to move on and all that stuff but this has been a big part of my four years in high school and it´s come to a conclusion."A great conclusion."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing in your adventure, HB! I love your writing, and your stories crack me up! Can't wait to experience some of these travels with you in December! Wooohoooo! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the detials Bobby!!!! Congrats to Hannah and team!!!

    ReplyDelete