Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fire Alarms and Flight

June 2/3 Fire Alarms And Flight

The night before the Big Day, Chris and I stayed in Portland and enjoyed a very nice last supper at Joe’s Boat house. The weather was perfect for eating outdoors. As the sun was setting the rays light up some overhead clouds in a beautiful display of colors and patterns. For an appetizer we had some mussels cooked in a garlic saffron wine sauce and dipped our crusty bread in the delicious sauce. Sipping my Tangaruay and tonic, I kept on thinking about the last times.... last time I’d be in Portland, last time driving a car, the last time I would see my loved ones for 27 months. We walked around the Old Port for a bit after dinner and called it a night. Morning would come early, I planned to be up at 6 and at the airport by 8; my flight was 9:15.

However, I did not wake up to the sound of the alarm clock. At 5 am, the hotel’s fire alarm went off jolting me out of a sound sleep. I decided that instead of gong downstairs and outside for who knows how long and risking missing my flight, I quickly jumped in the shower, and rushed around packing like a mad man to  bring everything down to the car. I just finished packing, when...the fire alarm shut off. I then repacked my bags and we left to have breakfast at Becky’s Diner. It was chilly outside, in the lower 40’s and I was enjoying the brisk refreshing breeze on my face knowing that I won’t see that temperature again for a long time. 

After a teary goodbye with Chris, but knowing that she has great friends and family to support her, I boarded the plane and left Maine excited about my journey, but a little apprehensive about what it is going to be like in Ghana. I met some other Peace Corps Trainees at the Airport and, while waiting for the van to pick us up, the fire alarm went off in the terminal. It was kind of funny, because even though lights for flashing, the alarm sounding and a recorded voice was saying that there could be a fire in the building and we should exit, everyone paid no attention and continued on like nothing was happening. Turns out that it was another false alarm and we got to the training in Philly with no hitches.

Most groups that train together range from around 30 to 50 people. But, to cut costs, the PC decided to combine the spring and fall groups into one large group. My training group has 67 people in it. It was fun to meet some of the folks that I have “met” through Face Book, and meet all the others. There is a wide range of ages; from early 20’s to late 60’s and even 70’s. Most of the group, I’d guess 80% are in their 20’s then there are maybe 5-7 50 and older. I think there are two of us in our 40’s. It’s a great group of folks and everyone is excited about this new adventure. 

Our meeting the first day lasted until around 7 or 8, and I was pretty tired. I had a quick dinner and a beer then headed off to bed. I did check my Face Book and was overwhelmed with the kind words and support everyone wrote. That means so much to me and I want to thank you all for encouraging and supporting me through this. 

It’s funny, since I don’t know what to expect, I am thinking of the worst case, so, if it is better than that, I will be pleasantly surprised. For example, living with no electricity or water, sharing a group latrine, eating all sorts of weird and slimy things. But after talking with some folks that have been there before, I am hearing that Ghana is a beautiful place, with wonderful people and culture. Oh- and I did hear that they are supposed to have pretty good tasting beer!!! YAY!!! 

Day two was up at 5:30, then off to the clinic for our yellow fever vaccine and malaria meds. Whahooo!!! From there we took a bus to JFK and left for Ghana at 5:30. It’s about an 11 hour direct flight and I am writing this from the airplane. We are supposed to arrive at 9:30 am I think (Ghana time) and hopefully have a chance to shower and rest before another busy day. By the way, the time difference is 4 hours.

It’s 11:30 EST right now so I am going to try and get some shut eye. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment