Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wayne's World Gets Bigger


Akwaaba! What is it they say? "When in Rome...", so I have decided to do this blog thing. I think that the last time I wrote about myself was in high school, and the content was mostly about girls. Hopefully I will have more to write than that now.
Why am I going into the Peace Corps and heading to Ghana? Folks have speculated- Midlife crisis?? (I thought that I was supposed to buy a hot car and get a tattoo.) Am I running away from my life? (There must be easier and more comfortable ways to do that rather than living with rats in a mud hut.) Or, is Wayne just whacked. (Anyone who knows me, knows that I am!)

I suppose the thing that made me start thinking about it was during a phone conversation I had with one of my brothers. It was shortly after my divorce, and he said, "Wayne, you have been handed a golden opportunity, a blank ticket; you are single, your kids are grown and you can do whatever you want." So, I started thinking what do I want to do? There are two things that I wanted; I wanted to make a difference, to give rather than take. To say I want to change lives is too arrogant. God changes lives not people. But, most times God uses people to help influence others. My hope is the I might be able to impact a person's life in a positive way; whatever that may be, maybe to laugh more (you all know seeing me in action is very comical), see the beauty of this world, and to help them improve their quality of life. The second thing I wanted is more selfish. I want to really test myself, to see what I am made of. What better way to do that than to move to a completely new environment, culture and way of life. It's exciting and scary at the same time. To learn a new language, eat different foods, live in hot weather (I read one blog where a guy said at 11 at night it was 95 degrees), and be a minority. And, if it is a disaster, I can blame my brother Mark for the Golden Opportunity speech he gave me!
So, there you have it. I thank you for taking time to read this, hopefully it will be entertaining and educational for you as well as me. Let the countdown begin.
Cheers!

"He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." Phillippians 1:6
"Roll down the window
And let the wind blow
Back your hair
Well the night's busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heaven's waiting on down the tracks
Oh-oh come take my hand
We're riding out tonight to case the promised land"
Bruce Springsteen Thunder Road

7 comments:

  1. Wayne! You have a blog?? That is so crazy! I have one too- what a crazy world this is....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ll think of you when Im in my air conditioned home watching the Sox beat the other guy while I have a beer and another slice of free deilverey Pizza. It was just about that time that I received a call on my cell phone and a this nice lady I hooked up with at the last motorcycle meet invites me to go see the Bruce Springsteen concert. While driving to the concert I ll get the urge to call you to rub it in a little and to tell you Im on my way to go see Bruce and Katy ( you remember, the fox with the Harley) points out to me it gets too hot where you live for cell phones to work that time of day ..... well that must sucks. I forget about the call as were almost there . The show was really good and they played for 2.1/2 hours..... then John Lennon walks on stage with Eric and Neil Young ( Hey its my fantasy right???) they break right into the hard hitting song "before you get to Ghana drill some holes in your arms " Best work from Eric Clapton. 1 more hour of heaven and they come out 3 more times and kick us out. Live music, you just have to love it. Hope ya like drums!


    On the way home she treated me to lobster at De fillips restaurant in Boston right next to the beautiful new bridge. It was a great meal but an even better concert and want to share that with my buddy Wayne so I got you a Post Card the very next day and filled you in on all the things going on.I rode my Shadow to get postage on your PostCard but my motorcycle riding buddy at the post office told me you wouldn't get it till you we were 57 years old so I saved the postage and plan on giving it to you when you get back. While I was on my way home I stopped in to get a Vanilla Rooibos Tazo® Tea Latte which is A caffeine-free South African botantical carefully blended with vanilla and spices but they ran out so I settled for the Berry Chai Infusion , you should see if the locals can make you one, it
    Combines Chai Tea concentrate with a proprietary blend of aronia berry (tart berry similar to cranberry) and black currant (dark colored berry with a sharp, sweet taste) juice. I read the Conway Daily Sun in the park and after my coffee treat went over to Johnny's for our weekly card game. This new gal at the table with legs up to there cant play cards worth shit but did I mention the legs. Plus she has lots of money and just wants to learn how to play so what s the harm. Were keeping her as Lou kicked out the last two guys because they dont fish or hunt. Hey why am I still there?? Did I tell ya Johnny purchased a brand new Victory Hammer 1800cc and has the Mc least paintjob. Sweet ride.

    Well Im done poking fun and have to tell you I admire people who run down the path after their dreams. Is there not a path to Paris?? There is, but its not your path.I wish you the best and will keep good thoughts for you . Hold on a minute, my cell is ringing.... whats that?? Grateful Dead tickets, you bet Im there see ya Wayne
    Ride Safe Bobby Bell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!!! You should have been a writer.... tell me more about the new poker player?!? Unfortunately, you are probably not too far off. The AVERAGE temp is 95. UGH!!! No worries, I am going to be in the bongo pit (or maybe its the dinner pot) playing up a storm. I'll see if Bruce and Eric want to come jam with us.
    Hey sign up for my blog- you'll get updates of my trip. For only $12.95 a month! I need to supplement my income of $25 a month some how. ;>)
    Talk to you soon buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i luv the part when you said "Or, is Wayne just whacked. (Anyone who knows me, knows that I am!)" that is good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cj: I cant wait to see all the pics that you are going to take!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wayne? What's happening? We need blog info. BD1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well of course we know you're whacked-we established that some time ago. But to be handed that blank slate, new beginning, golden ticket, whatever you want to call it and actually use it to change others lives for the better is a rare thing. I would like to think I could do it. Certainly I have talked about doing it and even spoken to both PC and Volunteers for Peace..but...to actually go to third world country knowing no one, not knowing the language, living with the real possibilities of disease and probably far from good medical care...WOULD I actually do it? Well..maybe in a country with a cooler climate. Seriously though I have an old friend who just turned 40 and wrote on his Facebook page-"40-time for ME" and then I see what you are doing and all I can say is your parents must have done something right (or,lol, you're just whacked!)Good luck stay safe, healthy, happy, and laughing.

    ReplyDelete